The Library selects and delivers reading materials at no cost to our patrons who are unable to come to the library due to physical limitations.
- You must be a resident of Penn Township or Harris Township or a resident of an assisted lviing or adult care facility within our service area.
- You must be physically unable to visit our library. Homebound card holders cannot receive delivery services and check out items at the library as well. It is assumed that you are requesting delivery because you are not able to visit our facilities.
- You must be eligible for an MPHPL library card; if a current card holder, you must be in good standing (all fines are resolved).
- Depending on the number of applicants, you may be placed on a waiting list for Homebound services.
HOW it works:
- Begin the application process by calling Homebound Services at 574-259-5277 ext. 2303 to schedule a home visit.
- Once you are approved, MPHPL staff or volunteers will deliver and collect your materials on a monthly basis.
- To suspend or cancel services, notifiy the Homebound Services Librarian. If there is no contact with you for 90 days, your services will be suspended until you reinstate them.
WHAT we deliver:
- Books (including large print)
The Personal Touch:
MPHPL staff will select materials for you by using the information supplied on your Homebound Service Application. Specific requests for specific titles (we call these Home Picks) are requested by calling the Reference Desk at 574-259-5277. Please identify yourself as a homebound cardholder. These items will be placed on hold and delivered to you once they become available.
Please note that ILL (Interlibrary Loan) materials are not available for delivery.
Lending Periods and Fines
MPHPL's lending time and fee policy for our Homebound cardholders is accomodating. If a patron is absent during a delivery, items will be collected during the next scheduled delivery.
- Items are loaned for 30 days.
- Items may be renewed twice by calling the Reference Desk. Exception: Items placed on hold by other patrons may not be renewed.
- Late fees do not apply for most items. Exception: "Home Pick" items are considered lost after 90 days and will incur a replacement fee.
- $5 or more in fees will result in suspended services until fines are resolved.
The Indiana Talking Book and Braille Library
Residents of Indiana who are blind or have limited vision and those who are not able to hold a book are eligible for services through the Indiana Talking Book and Braille Library. Large print books, digital audiobooks and players, and Braille materials are mailed from the State Library with free return postage guaranteed.
We can assist you in the application process for this program or you can call the State Library at
For more information, call 574-259-5277, ext. 1305 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.